Thursday, August 21, 2008

The End is Near... like 5:00 PM CST, Prepare for Apocalypse

Well today was not the day I thought it would be. In fact it's been one of those random days I like to affectionately call "Potluck Thursday." I was suppose to work today, but my schedule got changed again, so I decided to do a little mowing in the backyard. Lately the rain has been horrible; we got almost 4 inches just on Monday. And if you're familiar with Oklahoma weather during August, this is anything but normal. By the third week of this month, we had broken the record of total rainfall for Oklahoma in August and there is a chance of rain everyday until September.

Last year we broke the record for ice and for several rainfall statistics going back to before statehood. None of these so called "chance occurrences" have been linked to global warming in our local media. And since Oklahomans are more likely to listen their preacher instead of the weatherman, then I say we start preparing for The End, in a biblical sense instead of a climatic sense.

Back to my original story... I was mowing and found a whole bunch of baby frogs (or toads more likely) in the tall grass. I have never seen baby toads in August, March or April or even as late as June maybe, but not late August. Is Mother Nature on vacation? Or, is she planning on raising a whole new batch of volunteers for the prophetic "Rain of Toads" that we've all been warned of. I'm going with a split decision on this one.

Maybe Mother Nature plans on ending the world soon... like on a federal holiday or some other three-day holiday where the people at the shopping malls can be struck down first. Personally I am just hoping to get a Tivo so that I can store up a bunch of television for when the airwaves die out.

So... dust off that Y2K survival kit, stock up on water purification tablets and ramen noodles. Oh and don't forget to zip lock your books incase of flooding... you made need to brush up on your "Left Behind" series before it's all over. On the other hand I will be recycling, using compact fluorescent light bulbs, and not driving my gas-guzzling car up until the very brink of disaster.... just so I can say it wasn't my fault.



Next Time Thoughts

1) Ahhhh(Yawn)lympics - So why is the Olympics so boring this time? I mean, I watched Michael Phelps and it was exciting enough, but as whole... blah. In 1992 I watched a ton of Olympics really late at night and loved it. Is it just me?

2) New Species - Every time I turn around there is new a species of fish or sea creature or presumed to be extinct or dinosaur-like "thing" being pulled out of the ocean, especially near Japan. We're never surprised. But someone says they found Bigfoot and the pic of the deepfreeze (where it was supposedly stored) was shown live on CNN as a breaking story for hours. Do you think the Loch Ness monster or little green m... , excuse me, gray men would get that same attention? It must've been a slow news day.

3) Facebook. - Possibly the educated guess to a glittered out bling-you question like, "Myspace?" I recently started making a gradual shift away from Myspace to Facebook and so have a few of my friends. I will not treat Myspace like the redheaded stepchild, but I have to admit I have found a favorite of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment